Since 1993, we have supported the Canton Branch Library through campaigning for its preservation and renovation, funding programming, and engaging the community to become involved with one of Maryland's first branch libraries - right in the heart of Canton.
The Friends of the Canton Library is a non-profit organization dedicated to supporting and promoting the restoration, preservation, and use of the historic Canton Branch of the Enoch Pratt Free Library, one of Maryland's first branch libraries. We do this through programing, fundraising, volunteering, and raising community awareness.
What We've Achieved
- In 2011, we helped raise $275,000 for the restoration of the Canton Branch Library
- We are a proud sponsor of the Canton Memories program
- We publish and sell the famous Canton Cooks cookbook
- Twice, in 1993 and 2001, we prevented the closure of the branch
- We engaged the entire community to the support improvements to the branch
Want to learn more?
You can learn more about our history by reading this timeline, carefully compiled from years worth of news clippings, newsletters, notes, and photographs.
Make sure to subscribe to our newsletter to get a regular blast from the past - each edition will feature some content from the archives!